Dental Study Leave

This page is for Dental Study Leave applications only; all other Specialties should refer back to 


Process for Applying for Dental Study Leave

You should also refer to the flow chart, which you can download by clicking here.

1. Download the application form.

2. Complete sections A, B and C ensuring you have inserted estimation of expenses you expect to claim. 

3. Email your completed form to your Educational Supervisor and Rota Coordinator to obtain approval for the course / conference and the time respectively (Section D).

Please note, study leave can be approved by:
a. Inserting an electronic signature image into the study leave application, or 
b. Attaching an email from the relevant individual, stating that approval has been given.

4. Your Educational Supervisor and Rota Coordinator should email you back confirmation of their approval.

5. Forward the two approval emails along with the application form (or an electronically signed application form) to the relevant study leave administrator 

For StR & SpR contact Lesley Miskelly   

For DCT contact Cheslea Archibald email: .

6. The study leave administrator will then forward your request to the Training Programme Director for Section E to be completed.

7. You must then await an acknowledgement from the HEE NW which will be emailed to you with a study leave expenses claim form.

8. You should submit your expenses claim form to HEE NW as soon as possible after the course/conference along with receipts.

Downloadable Documents

Study Leave - Reasons for Delays

Reasons which could cause delays in applications:

FULL name not completed.

Email and postal address not completed.

GDC number not completed.

Start and End dates of courses not completed (this must always be completed, even for online courses where you will not be taking any days off).

Name of the course and venue not included (simply writing "Course" is not acceptable, the course title must be provided).

Approval from the Educational Supervisor or Rota Coordinator is not included.

The wrong application form is used. You must use the form that can be downloaded from the Dental Study Leave section of HEE NW Website. Local Trust forms will not be accepted.

Reasons for delays in processing of expense claims and/or non-payment of claims:

Full name is not completed.

GDC number not completed.

You did not state you wished to claim for an expense on the application form.

For course/conference fees, the fee amount stated on the application form was lower than the actual course fee.

Course/conference fees will only be refunded to the amount stated on the application form.

The claim form was not signed.

The claim form was not submitted within 3 months of the course start date or before the end of February (whichever comes first).
To check where your Application for Dental Study Leave is up to please contact the dental study leave administrator on 0161 268 9527 or